UPCOMING CAIC EVENTS AND ACTIONS
RSVP for MAY 2: CAIC ADVOCACY DAY TO HALT SOLITARY CONIFINEMENT: This year’s CAIC advocacy day in Albany to push for the HALT Solitary Confinement Act will take place on Tuesday, May 2. There will be buses from NYC and support for transport from elsewhere across the state. Reserve your spot TODAY by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, email, cell phone, mailing address, NYS Senator and Assemblymember (if you know them), and if you will take a bus from NYC or need other transportation support from another part of the state.
HARLEM COMMUNITY FORUM ON SOLITARY CONFINEMENT AND THE HALT ACT: Saturday April 22, 12-3pm, Neighborhood Health Action Center 158 East 115th Street NYC. Will include a short film screening and discussion with audience participation. Free and open to the public.
NEXT MONTHLY CAIC MEETING: Tuesday, April 25: 5:30 pm will be a team leaders call for anyone who can’t make the 19th, and 6 pm (or shortly thereafter) will be the monthly CAIC meeting. Call-in: 712-432-1212; Code 318-838-798. All are welcome!
UPCOMING CAIC COMMITTEE AND PLANNING CALLS: Call-in: 712-432-1212; Code 318-838-798.
- Tues., April 11: 2 pm: In-District Organizing call.
- Wed., April 12: 5 pm: Advocacy Day planning call.
- Wed., April 19: 5:30 pm: Team Leaders call for Advocacy Day. Anyone who has previously been a team leader or who wants to be a team leader on May 2 should join.
ADVOCACY DAY TRAININGS
- Thurs., April 20: 6 pm: Advocacy Day training at the Correctional Association, 22 Cortlandt, Fl. 33, NYC.
- Mon, April 24: 3 to 5 pm: Advocacy Day training at Legal Aid, 199 Water St., 6th fl, NYC.
TOGETHER TO END SOLITARY ACTIONS on the 23rd of Every Month:
- NYC: Sunday, April 23, morning: This month’s action in NYC will be to participate as a team in the race4reentry: https://www.race4reentry.com/the-race/. If you would like to participate in this month’s action, please email Victor by Tuesday, April 11, at 5 pm: email@example.com. Our plan is to bring signs, handouts, and petitions, and to begin the race all walking all together. Victor will provide details to those participating.
- Long Island: Sunday, April 23. For further information, contact UUCSR Social Justice Coordinator, Claire Deroche at (516) 472-2977 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ithaca: Sunday, April 23, 5 pm. Vigil outside Tompkins County Public Library (Green & Cayuga St.) with Amnesty International.
- Join us the 23rd of every month in the struggle to end solitary confinement (in recognition of the 23 hours or more per day people spend in solitary). Hold an action in your area next month! Contact Victor for more information or help planning an event: email@example.com.
- And call Gov Cuomo: 518-474-8390 & your NY legislators to ask them to end torture in NY and support the HALT Solitary Confinement Act. Find your legislators here.. Also, LIVETWEET: #
HALTSolitary and @NYGovCuomo
SAVE THE DATE: MAY 10: JOINT DAY OF ACTION TO CHALLENGE INCARCERATION: The statewide collective of more than 50 campaigns, coalitions, organizations and groups is going to have a joint multi-issue, multi-campaign day of action in Albany on May 10 to push for the 2017 prioritized platform that includes HALT Solitary, as well as parole, bail, sentencing, raise the age; close Rikers and Attica; DVSJA; restoring TAP and voting rights; and a truth, justice, and reconciliation commission. This day of action will be in conjunction with a parole advocacy day. Stay tuned for more info. Reserve your spot at: firstname.lastname@example.org
SEND UPDATES AND PICTURES: A reminder that if you have a confirmed upcoming event re solitary or have pictures from a past event – for the 23rd of the month action or any CAIC event – please email: email@example.com;jch