UPCOMING CAIC EVENTS AND ACTIONS
NEXT MONTHLY CAIC MEETING: Monday, February 27, 6 pm. Correctional Association: 22 Cortlandt St, Fl 33, NYC. Call-in: 712-432-1212; Code 318-838-798. All are welcome!
UPCOMING CAIC COMMITTEE AND PLANNING CALLS: Call-in: 712-432-1212; Code 318-838-798.
- Next in-district organizing committee call is Feb. 23, 12 pm
- Next Advocacy Day planning call is March 6, 5 pm
- Next NY Interfaith Campaign Against Torture call is Tues., Feb. 21, 6 pm (with different call-in: 1-855-392-2520; code 5471845#)
TOGETHER TO END SOLITARY ACTIONS on the 23rd of Every Month:
- NYC: Thursday, February 23 , 6 pm, outside the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, 515 Malcolm X Boulevard at 135th Street. In case of bad weather, meet inside the 2/3 subway station at the corner.
- Long Island: Thursday, February 23, 6:30 pm, End Solitary Confinement Vigil & Photo Exhibit: Vigil at 6:30 pm followed by a presentation and photo exhibit, “Behind These Prison Walls” by former correctional officer, Lorenzo Steele, Jr. Advocates for ending prolonged solitary confinement gather on the 23rd of every month, remembering those who are in segregated confinement 23 hours a day. Sponsored by the Social Justice Committee of the UU Congregation at Shelter Rock, 48 Shelter Rock Road, Manhasset. For further information, contact Social Justice Coordinator, Claire Deroche at (516) 472-2977 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ithaca: Thursday, February 23, 5 pm, Vigil outside Tompkins County Public Library (Green & Cayuga St.) with Amnesty International.
- Join us the 23rd of every month in the struggle to end solitary confinement (in recognition of the 23 hours or more per day people spend in solitary). Hold an action in your area next month! Contact Victor for more information or help planning an event: email@example.com.
- And call Gov Cuomo: 518-474-8390 & your NY legislators to ask them to end torture in NY and support the HALT Solitary Confinement Act. Find your legislators here.. Also, LIVETWEET: #
HALTSolitary and @NYGovCuomo
RSVP for MAY 2 CAIC ADVOCACY DAY TO HALT SOLITARY: This year’s CAIC advocacy day in Albany to push for the HALT Solitary Confinement Act will take place on Tues., May 2. There will be buses from NYC and support for transport from elsewhere across the state. Reserve your spot today by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, email, cell phone, mailing address, NYS Senator and Assemblymember (if you know them), and if you will take a bus from NYC or need other transportation support from another part of the state.
ADVOCACY DAY TRAININGS: Please consider attending one of our trainings, especially if this is your first Advocacy Day! More trainings in other parts of the state to be announced.
- Monday, April 3 at 6pm at Brooklyn Defender Services: 177 Livingston St, #5, Brooklyn
- Thursday, April 20 at 6pm at Correctional Association: 22 Cortlandt St, Fl 33, Manhattan
SAVE THE DATE: MAY 10: JOINT DAY OF ACTION TO CHALLENGE INCARCERATION: the statewide collective of more than 50 campaigns, coalitions, organizations and groups is going to have a joint multi-issue, multi-campaign day of action in Albany on May 10 to push for the 2017 prioritized platform that includes HALT Solitary, as well as parole, bail, sentencing, raise the age; close Rikers and Attica; DVSJA; restoring TAP and voting rights; and a truth, justice, and reconciliation commission. This day of action will be in conjunction with a parole advocacy day. Stay tuned for more info.
SEND UPDATES AND PICTURES: A reminder that if you have a confirmed upcoming event re solitary or have pictures from a past event – for the 23rd of the month action or any CAIC event – please email: email@example.com;jch
RSVP for MAY 10: UNITE FOR PRISON & PAROLE JUSTICE: A DAY OF ADVOCACY & ACTION: the statewide collective of more than 60 campaigns, coalitions, organizations and groups is going to have a joint multi-issue, multi-campaign day of action in Albany on May 10 to push for parole reform and the entire 2017 Challenging Incarceration prioritized platform that includes HALT Solitary, as well as parole, bail, sentencing, raise the age; close Rikers and Attica; DVSJA; restoring TAP and voting rights; and a truth, justice, and reconciliation commission. Reserve your spot at: firstname.lastname@example.org
CHALLENGING INCARCERATION WORKSHOP: Sat., Feb. 25, 12-3 pm, at Ya-Ya Network’s office: 224 W. 29th St, 14th Fl (btwn 7th & 8th)
CHALLENGING INCARCERATION Meeting: Sat., March 18, 12-2:30 pm at the Castle (625 W. 140th, NY, NY). Bring potluck brunch/snacks at 11:30 am. RSVP Here.
NO SEPARATE JUSTICE VIGIL: Mon., March 6, 6 pm, Outside the MCC (150 Park Row), every 1st Monday of the month: http://no-separate-
BEYOND THE BARS: March 2-5, join the 7th annual justice conference: http://centerforjustice.columbia.edu/education/beyondthebarsconference/beyond-bars-2017/